Sanje was founded in 1997, it started with one project - a book of poems - that became a bestseller. Today Sanje is one of finest book publishers in Slovenia, producing over 50 titles a year.
Sanje also acts as a music publisher and is very active in the field of cultural event production. In 2002 it launched the 1st annual Sanje Festival, festival of imagination and creativity, which has since featured over 2,000 events from the field of literature, music, storytelling, art and science.
Sanje is the initiator of World Book Night (Noč knjige) in Slovenia. Coproduced with partners from Croatia, it brought together libraries, bookshops, schools and other institutions from across Slovenia and featured over 350 events on 23 April 2014. The project is now expanding internationally.
Sanje is also the initiator of the campaign against tax on books in Slovenia. The ambition is to widen the initiative to an international level.
Our list of translations includes works by Orhan Pamuk, Elif Shafak, Kurt Vonnegut, Haruki Murakami, Colum McCann, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Neil Gaiman, Walter Moers, Roald Dahl, Tove Jansson and many other acclaimed authors. For more please visit our home site at www.sanje.si.
A selection of awards received by Sanje:
- Best Young Translator of 2012: Ana Barič Moder for the translation of Les fleurs bleues by Raymond Queneau
- International Award for Outstanding Merits in Investigative Journalism 2012 presented by CEI and SEEMO: Matej Šurc and Blaž Zgaga for the trilogy In the Name of the State
- Best Young Translator of 2011: Stana Anželj for the translation of Die Stadt der Träumenden Bücher by Walter Moers
- Most Beautiful Original Slovenian Children’s Book of 2010 (Fran Milčinski – Ježek, Tina Volarič: Zgodba o zamorčku Bambuleju in vrtoglavi žirafi)
- Slovenian Publisher of the Year 2010
- Special Prize for Best Illustrated Book of 2009 (Fran Milčinski - Ana Razpotnik Donati: Laž in njen ženin)
- Best Young Translator of 2008: Katja Zakrajšek for the translation of The Book of Salt by Monique Truong,
- Sovre Award – the highest national prize translation awarded to Nives Vidrih (the following translation was mentioned in the explanation of the jury: Sestra by Jachym Topol, Sanje, 2008)
- Praise for best bookcover at Brumen, Biennale of Visual Messages, 2007 (Sestra, design by Matej Koren)
- Best Debut Novel of 2006 (Ime tvoje zvezde je Bilhadi by Magda Reja)
- Best Design of 2006 (Marjana by Katarina Lavš)
- Best Design of 2005 (Faust by J.W.Goethe, the first complete translation in Slovenian)
- Best Design of the Year 2004 (Idiot by F.M.Dostoevsky)
- Best Design of 2001 (a series of audiobooks based on poetry by France Prešeren)
Imprints / Editions:
- Roman SANJE (Sanje novel)
- DOKUMENTA (documents of our time - non-fiction titles: Eduardo Galeano, Che Guevara, Gino Strada, Anna Politkovskaya ...)
- TIGR (radical, socially oriented thinkers: Noam Chomsky,Tiziano Terzani, Sven Lindqvist ...)
- KONTINENTI (Continents)
- Sanjska knjigica (children's books)
- Glasbena zbirka SANJE (music label)
Zbirka zvočnih knjig SANJE (audiobooks)